Thursday, May 22, 2008

The School Year is Coming to an End!


I have to say that this year I am extremely glad that the end of the school year is almost here. I have a difficult class this year. Today, we had a field trip to visit the Kindergarten Classrooms and also have lunch in the cafeteria. The kids were wild and off the wall. I have to say that my stress level went through the roof. However, overall the children did well when it came right down to it. I have high expectations for my children and the group this year is like none other that I have had. I have several children with major problems. They have social, emotional, and learning problems that can really hinder their ability to control their impulses and self-regulating skills.


I have learned a lot from them. One of the things that I learned was that high levels of lead could have something to do with it. It is a major problem in this area with older homes and then the recent discovering of lead in many toys. I have also read a lot of information about brain research and their ability to help determine the way a brain thinks.

Anyway, I know I am rambling but I am glad I have a 4 day weekend. I also understand why teachers have a long summer break. They really do need to mentally rejuvenate, so that they do not get burned out. And with saying all that, it still touches me when one child invites me to go camping with her, another wants me to take her to the zoo, or another little boy just wants me to come to his house with PB&J sandwiches.




1 comment:

Kari V. said...

Great post. I am glad that you will be done soon. That is definitely a benefit of being a teacher.

It is a great feeling when you get those responses from kids. It makes everything you are doing as a teacher worth it. :)

Say hi to everyone for me.